After a long, cold winter and a few April snowstorms, the Midwest is finally in the full swing of summer and everyone is getting outside to enjoy the warmth while it lasts. Take advantage of the weather, gather the family and find some inspiration for a picnic.
Quick options like sandwiches and fresh fruit are always a picnic staple, but sometimes it helps to bring an extra treat to satisfy a sweet tooth. Lunds & Byerlys’ Aaron Sorenson recommends giving their make-ahead lemon blueberry bars a try. (Recipe is also available on the Lunds & Byerlys website.) The tart and tasty treat is just what any picnic needs.
So grab your picnic blanket, a basket of goodies and don’t forget the sunscreen!
Lunds & Byerlys Lemon Blueberry Bars
- 1 cup softened butter
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In an electric mixer, beat butter on medium speed until it’s smooth and creamy. Then beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. Blend in two cups of the flour until a dough forms. Press this mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 pan and bake for 18-20 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside.
- To prepare the topping, combine the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, baking powder and remaining flour. Beat until the combination is blended.
- Sprinkle the blueberries over the crust, pour the filling on top and bake for another 30-35 minutes. Let the bars cool and refrigerate for at least four hours, although overnight is recommended.
Once you’re ready to head to your picnic, sprinkle the bars with powdered sugar and enjoy!