Plymouth beekeeper shares his recipe for No Bake Energy Bites.
Wondering how to incorporate superfood honey into your everyday diet? Beekeeper Mark Poppendeck shares a snack recipe worthy of a summer chock-full of activity.
No Bake Energy Bites
“This is a great energy booster. Kind of like a granola bar but easier to eat. I take them to the ski patrol shack when I patrol, and they’re eaten in no time at all!”
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup toasted, unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup chopped 70 percent chocolate bar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp. wheat germ
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Stir everything together in a large mixing bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Cover the mixing bowl, and chill in refrigerator for two hours; this step helps the mixture stick together more easily.
- Roll into walnut-size balls. Freeze on cookie sheet. Place in bags in freezer.
Modification: I have quadrupled this recipe. Substitute 1/2 cup of 70 percent chocolate with: 1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, 1/2 cup mini peanut butter chips, 1/2 cup mini butterscotch chips and 1/2 cup mini white chocolate chips. —Mark Poppendeck
Looking for other buzzworthy honey-infused dishes? Read to our Tastemakers Buzz Around Town for more recipes.